Saturday, September 14, 2013

Police investigate alleged £1m fraud from Nelson Mandela's charities

Police investigate alleged £1m fraud from Nelson Mandela's charities

South African police refuse to confirm planned raid on charities' offices as part of investigation into Mandela's former lawyer

in Johannesburg

  • Nelson Mandela
    Nelson Mandela, who is in critical condition at home in Johannesburg, made allegations of fraud and forgery several years ago against his former lawyer Ismail Ayob. Photograph: Schalk Van Zuydam/AP
    Police in South Africa are investigating allegations that an estimated 15m rand (£1m) of Nelson Mandela's money has been misappropriated, but refused to confirm a report that they planned to raid the offices of his charities.
    The serious economic offences unit, known as the Hawks, sent letters to the Nelson Mandela Foundation, Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and Mandela Trust demanding financial records including bank statements of family members, trustees and employees.
    The letter relates to allegations of fraud and forgery made several years ago by Mandela against Ismail Ayob, his once-trusted friend and personal lawyer, South Africa's Mail & Guardian newspaper reported. It was also sent to the directors of companies set up to manage royalties from the sale of Mandela-related artworks.
    Investigators initially wanted to raid the charities' headquarters but were blocked by senior police management because of the embarrassment it would cause, the paper added. But it quoted a police source saying that a raid of "offices, houses and business premises" was still on the cards if financial records were not handed over, "whether this will create a furore or not".
    Mandela, 95, is at home in Houghton, Johannesburg, in a critical and sometimes unstable condition after spending 12 weeks in hospital. The nearby foundation is the flagship organisation representing South Africa's first black president: it retains his archive, preserves his office as he left it and regularly hosts events in his name, including next week's launch of the trailer for the biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
    Captain Paul Ramaloko, a spokesman for the Hawks, said on Friday: "We have an investigation under way. It's not our policy to comment on it."
    He declined to confirm whether police raids had been discussed. Sello Hatang, the chief executive of the foundation, said he was also unaware of any planned raids but confirmed receipt of a letter regarding an investigation into Ayob, which he passed on to Mandela's lawyer, Bally Chuene.
    He added: "The matter has nothing to do with us – that's why we passed it on. It's not for me to express how I feel because it has nothing to do with us, our work, our conduct and how we execute our duties."
    The Nelson Mandela Children's Fund also acknowledged receipt of the police letter. A spokesman, Oupa Ngwenya, said: "The feeling is always you are open to public scrutiny as an organisation. Any wrongdoing will be pointed out and dealt with."
    The saga would be "distressing" for Mandela – whose clan name is Madiba – if he knew about it, Ngwenya admitted. "But Madiba would always say no one is beyond correction or the spotlight. He would not say anyone is beyond suspicion. We too should understand we are open to scrutiny."
    A source close to Mandela said the police had made a mistake in targeting the foundation and children's fund, since the key was Ayob and his alleged failure from 2003 to channel about 15m rand in royalties from sales of Mandela's drawings into the Mandela Trust.
    Ayob was later removed from the trust after a bitter legal battle. The trust is now at the centre of another court case pitting two of Mandela's daughters, Makaziwe and Zenani, against fellow trustees including Chuene, the former government minister Tokyo Sexwale and the veteran lawyer George Bizos.
    Ayob did not return calls requesting comment on Friday.

    Nelson Mandela residence receives debt notice in council blunder
    5 Aug 2013: City officials apologise after notice posted on ex-president's home in Johannesburg demanded payment of 6,468.48 rand

    How the ANC's Faustian pact sold out South Africa's poorest
    24 Jun 2013
    Ronnie Kasrils: Mandela, myself and other ANC leaders made a fatal error on the eve of our first election. Our people still pay the price
    12 Apr 2013

    William Gumede: Not all black South Africans at the time were opposed to Thatcher, but her economic policies helped sustain apartheid

    Nelson Mandela returns home from hospital - video


    No comments: