Friday, May 22, 2015

SPLM-N says it repulsed government attack in Blue Nile

 Friday 22 May 2015

SPLM-N says it repulsed government attack in Blue Nile

May 22, 2015 (KHARTOUM) -

The rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N) said it repulsed a government attack on Thursday in Kalgo area, 45 km west of the Blue Nile state capital, Ed Damazin.

JPEG - 22.5 kb
SPLM-N leader and SRF chairman Malik Agar (photo SPLM-N)
Earlier this month, SPLM-N said it repulsed an attack carried out by the Sudanese army backed by 18 military vehicles against the town of Kalgo in Bau in county. They also claimed to have repulsed a third attack against the same area on 23 April.

The SPLM-N has been fighting the Sudanese army and their aligned militias in South Kordofan and Blue Nile states since June 2011.

The rebel group said in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune that its fighters in the fourth front of the Angasana Mountains sector had repulsed a government attack against Kolgo on Thursday, noting the attack started at 6:00 am (local time) and continued for six hours.

The statement further said the government army suffered heavy losses while the SPLM-N forces did not incur any losses.

It claimed that 11 government troops were killed in the battle including two officers besides destroying 4 military vehicles and seizing 10 Kalashnikov rifles and RBG ammunition.
The SPLM-N stressed the government troops were forced to withdraw to Damzain and Khor Manza.
A Sudanese army spokesperson was not available for comment.
Since last year, the Sudanese army and its aligned militia have launched the “Decisive Summer” military campaign in a bid to end rebellion in Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile.

No comments: